Thursday, July 7, 2011

Milk Tea


It seems there's milk tea craze nowadays, what with all these Taiwanese milk tea cafes popping up. I've tried a few, but to me they aren't that big of a deal.
Milk tea has been around for quite some time, with some Chinese restaurants offering it on their menu. I particularly like the milk tea of Old Penang. Kopiroti's decent, while Bubble Tea was one of the first to repackage milk tea in what we see a lot of nowadays with the extra pearl or coffee jelly.


The other night I tried Milk+Tea. Mild flavor, not the type I'm looking for.


Then I also tried Chatime. Very mild, and at least the owner gave me additional tea to increase the flavor. In both these places, I noticed that coffee creamer was used as the "milk". For me, that isn't milk.



My friends and I also sampled the taiwanese chicken and squid balls. The chicken is better, with the right amount of five spice powder and chili.


Then there's ZenTea. Surprisingly, their Nai Cha is as close as to the Asian milk tea that I like, with pearl drops to incorporate what local people expect out of their milk tea. They have a smaller selection of teas, with various flavors for the adventurous or the bored with the standard fare. I'm partial to the original flavor but was willing to give the Caramel and Horlicks flavors a shot. The caramel and horlicks flavors were a bit too strong for my tastes, overpowering the milk tea. But the best thing about them is that they're P40 cheaper than their competitors. That and their flavor puts them way ahead in my book.


I was also able to finally try SereniTea. Their milk tea was similar to ZenTea's, but a bit lighter in flavor. They also have a big selection that makes it a bit daunting what to order. A bit pricey though.

Chatime has a branch on Wilson street, San Juan, right after PSBank. Their first one is on Laon-Laan Street in Banawe, Quezon City.
SereniTea is located on Laon Laan street in Quezon City. They also have outlets on Madison Street and Little Baguio in Greenhills.
ZenTea is located on Laon Laan street, right beside Chatime, in Quezon City.
Milk+Tea is located at the ground floor, Imperial Suites, Timog Circle, Tomas Morato, Quezon City.

No comments:

Post a Comment