Monday, July 4, 2011

Subic Eats


In Subic Bay, we went to Tequila Joe's for dinner. Didn't they have branches in Manila? I sort of remember one in Libis a few years back.

This one has a nice ambiance, with the waitresses wearing cowboy hats to give it a western feel. The odd thing was that they have a stage for live bands however according to our server that it has only been used once. The menu features family meals, with their bestsellers being the ribs. We weren't that hungry so we settled on sandwiches.

I ordered the hickory smoked pork. It came with a side of coleslaw and fries. The pork sandwich was a bit bland, needing additional BBQ sauce (readily available in squeeze bottle). They recommend spreading the coleslaw on the sandwich but the slaw taste just gets lost in the pork. The fries were very good though. If I wasn't so full from an earlier meal I might have considered another order of fries.

Their 1/3 lbs burger. With the way my friend was eating it, it looked good. I should have ordered this.

The beef sandwich. Good enough from what I tasted. Not my type though.


For breakfast we went to Xtremely Xpresso. I'm not a breakfast person which led me to just ordering waffles with blueberries.


...and it was disappointing. The waffles were thick and the blueberries tasted like they came straight from a can.


The pancakes with blueberries.


If I was really hungry i would have ordered the Filipino breakfast instead. Garlic rice, egg, longganisa, tapa, and tocino.

The redeeming meal from Xtremely Xpresso was their pizza. I know, I know, with the lousy breakfast I had, why would I ever think of coming back to this place? I was assured by my friends that their pizza was really good. So on our return trip to Subic we found ourselves back in Xtremely Xpresso. And they were right! It was a 22"-24" thin crust pizza, with just the right amount of firmness. Topped with helpings of sausages, olives, bell peppers, and cheese, this baby hit the spot.

Lunch was at Bunker Bob's. Its main attraction is eating inside a real American bunker. No windows, no cellphone signal, good thing they have wi-fi.


Their bestseller was the Bunker Bob pizza, so we ordered that. It has chunks of sausage on a 10" thin crust. It was surprisingly good! (But this was before eating the pizza at Xtremely Xpresso).


We also ordered the Banderios -- skewered shrimp, vegetables, and cheese with olive oil. Good as finger food.

Situated in an American bunker, we were assuming the food would be more American, with a majority of sandwiches and shakes. However, the majority of the menu was comprised of Italian dishes, sprinkled with a couple of Spanish and Mexican for good measure. (After looking them up online, turns out that they really set out to serve Italian, Spanish, and Mexican dishes).

Another turn-off was their use of monobloc tables and chairs. Those items stood out as they clashed with the existing wooden furniture.

Tequila Joe's is located on Waterfront Road, SBFZ.
Xtremely Xpresso Cafe is at #1 Dewey Avenue cor. Sta Rita Street, SBFZ
Bunker Bob's can be found at Ilanin Forest, Nav Mag, SBFZ. (It's a good 10 minute drive to get there from Dewey Avenue, on the way to Ocean Adventure)

No comments:

Post a Comment